Here are the details for the stocking dates. For the Grand River we meet in the south east corner of the Zehrs Parking lot at 10.00am and the Conestogo we meet at the Macton Bridge access parking lot at 10.00 am.
For more info contact Jason King for the Grand River or Brad Knarr for the Conestogo
Subject: Grand & Conestogo Rivers Stocking May 6 – 10, 2019
I have consulted with the hatcheries and with Friends of the Grand and we have agreed on the following dates for the 2019 brown trout stocking.
Please arrive half an hour before the stocking truck.
|Date (2019)||Hatchery||Location||# of Fish||Meeting Location||Stocking Truck ETA||Method|
|Mon May 6th||Chatsworth||Grand R Belwood to W Montrose||14,500||SE corner of Zehrs Parking Lot in Fergus||10:30||Buckets|
|Tues May 7th||Chatsworth||Grand R Belwood to W Montrose||9,000||SE corner of Zehrs Parking Lot in Fergus||10:30||Buckets|
|Wed May 8th||Chatsworth||Conestogo R – Conestogo Dam to Hawksville||10,500||Macton Bridge||9:45||Buckets|
|Thurs May 9th||Chatsworth||Conestogo R – Conestogo Dam to Hawksville||4,250||Macton Bridge||9:45||Canoes|
|Fri May 10th||Chatsworth||Grand R and Conestogo R||149 Brood Stock||Macton Bridge||9:45||Garbage Cans|
The entrance to the Macton Bridge parking lot is narrow and trucks drive fast on this road. Be extra careful!!
Grand River (Monday May 6th & Tuesday May 7th)
- Monday & Tuesday, Jason & MNRF-Guelph staff will meet in Belwood Lake CA at 9am to fill the stocking tanks with water.
Conestogo River (Wednesday May 8th + Thursday May 9th)
- Wednesday, MNRF-Guelph staff will meet Jason at the Conestogo Lake CA, near the snowmobile bridge, at 9:00am to fill the stocking tanks;
- Thursday, MNRF-Guelph staff will fill the stocking tank at the Macton Bridge parking lot.
Grand and Conestogo Rivers (Friday May 10th)
- Friday, MNRF-Guelph will fill our stocking tank at the Macton Bridge parking lot.
- Chattsworth stocking truck Glen Gately mobile #519-379-4393.
- Jason King, Friends of the Grand River mobile #519-994-1388.
- Brad Knarr mobile #519-897-5194.
- Ken Cornelisse, MNRF mobile #519-830-0822.
- Jamie Wedgewood, MNRF.
As in the past, we appreciate the cooperation of the GRCA to allow the stocking trucks and volunteers to access Belwood Lake CA, the Elora Gorge CA, and Conestogo Lake CA.
Dwight, if possible, can you please maintain:
- “low” flows on the Grand on Monday & Tuesday (May 6 & 7);
- “low” flows on the Conestogo on Wednesday (May 8) and;
- about 7cms on the Conestogo on Thursday (May 9) (stocking from canoes) and;
- “low” flows on the Grand and Conestogo on Friday (May 10).
Lower flows help us to better distribute the fish, improves safety and appear to keep the fish from being carried downstream.
Please note that these brown trout are not fin clipped.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Thank you in advance to the volunteers:
1) who assist with the coordination of the stocking events;
2) and carry all those fish to their new homes!
I will be away from the office until May 6th.
If you have any questions, please contact Jamie Wedgewood at 519-826-4936 or Jamie.email@example.com.
Mon. & Tues. meet at Zehrs in Fergus: HERE.
Wed, Thurs and Fri Meet at Macton Bridge Access Point – Conestogo R at Wellington Rd 12 (NW of Wallenstein): HERE.
Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry – Guelph District
1 Stone Road West
phone: (519) 826-6849
Cell: (519) 830-0822
fax: (519) 826-4929