Suction or Magnet?
There is no “better” system as both types have advantages and disadvantages. You should consider how you are going to use the SUMO to help in making a decision.
Magnets will only adhere to steel surfaces (check your hood and roof with a refrigerator magnet to find out).
Generally, magnets are easier and faster to use.
Magnets are less sensitive to temperature, dust and water on the car’s surface. Magnets will work in extremely cold temperatures; in fact they are impervious to temperatures.
Magnets require flat surfaces for optimum adhesion.
Suction mounts can adhere to any smooth and non-porous surface making them more versatile than magnets.
Suction mounts can adhere to slightly curved surfaces.
Suction mounts are more sensitive to cold temperatures and wet and dirty surfaces. Cold, wet and dirty surfaces can inhibit adhesion.
Suction mounts are not sensitive to hot temperatures. It takes a bit more time and effort to set-up suction mounts due to the need to activate the lever-lock mechanism to create suction (and we’re talking seconds here).
General Guidelines For Determining Which Mounting Method Is Best For You *
Are you a winter or fair-weather angler?
Does your car have a steel roof and hood?
Do you want to mount to the sunroof or windshield?
Do you intend to take your SUMO on airlines?
What type of fishing do you do? Are you driving from hole to hole or do you drive from home to your destination?
Suction mounts when properly used provide more holding power than magnets
RODMOUNTS has attempted to make SUMO the best rod carrier for outside of cars that does not require mounting to a roof rack. And short of drilling into your hood and roof and bolting something down, SUMO is a great way to transport your rods rigged and ready to fish in a quick and convenient way.
* RODMOUNTS does not make specific recommendations as to which method is best for your situation. Also, RODMOUNTS does not make maximum driving speed recommendations.¹ It is the user’s responsibility to determine which mounting method is best suited for them. Remember that magnet and suction mounts are interchangeable and are easy and quick to change allowing you to customize your SUMO for your specific situation.
¹ RODMOUNTS makes no speed recommendations or ratings due to factors outside of our control such as quantity and type of tackle being transported, driving style, road and weather conditions, condition of vehicle surfaces, improper use or maintenance.
- Won’t Damage your Leader – Significant savings
- Totally Adjustable – Continually adjust the nymph depth
- Knotless – Doesn’t weaken the line; Don’t lose that trophy
- Pleasure to Cast – Light and natural; Casts like a dry fly
- Won’t move – Unless you adjust it on the leader
See here for a video of “how to”…
See below for product options and then contact us for availability.